The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher education. Scholarships are towards a Ph.D. (or a combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Summary of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
|Host Institution||Canadian universities|
|Number of Scholarships||up to 166 scholarships|
|Course Level||Masters, Ph.D.|
|Eligible Nationality||Domestic, International|
|Scholarship value||$50,000 per year|
|Scholarship Duration||3 Years|
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008. The program is designed to attract and retain world-class Ph.D. students by offering them a significant financial award to assist them during their studies at Canadian universities. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, or health-related fields. Scholarship recipients receive $50,000 each year for three years. Once fully implemented, the program will support up to 166 scientists per year. Wikipedia
Level/Field(s) of study:
Ph.D. programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in
- health research;
- natural sciences and/or technical research;
- and social science and/or humanities research
An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a dissertation, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that is institutionally evaluated as merit/expert as a requirement for the program completion.
Joint graduate research programs
Joint graduate research programs with professional training (eg, MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.), as well as clinically oriented degree programs, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant autonomous research component as described above.
Canadian citizens, Canadian permanent residents, and foreign nationals are eligible to be nominated for the Vanier CGS.
The scholarships are worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be considered for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, you must:
- Be nominated by only one Canadian institution that must receive a Vanier CGS quota;
- Complete your first doctoral degree (including a joint undergraduate/postgraduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a proven and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. part of the combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Intend to continue a full-time doctoral (or joint postgraduate program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) and research at the nominating institution in the summer semester or in the academic year after the announcement of the results; Note that only the Ph.D. part of the combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies by 1 May 2023
- Have completed a maximum of 32 months of full-time study in a doctoral program by May 1, 2023, if:
- Enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/Ph.D., MA/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D. Applicants who fall into this category have access to the 32-month window regardless of whether or not they were previously enrolled in a master’s program; or acceleration directly from bachelor’s to doctorate (no time spent in master’s program); or accelerated from a master’s to a doctoral program without obtaining a master’s degree.
- Have achieved a first-class average as determined by your institution in each of the last two years of full-time study or the equivalent. Applicants are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not hold or hold a doctoral scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to obtain or complete a doctoral degree.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadlines using the Researched application system. The nominating institution will then forward the recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (Secretariat) by 1 November 2022.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Application Deadline
The deadline to submit the applications is 1 November 2022, (20:00 EDT).