EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships support outstanding postdoctoral researchers across Europe and the world for up to two years. International mobility is a key requirement. The scholarship includes a salary or stipend, a moving allowance, and support for classmates with children.
|Host Country||EMBC Member and the Associated Member States|
|Stipend/Salary||The stipend rate depends on the country being visited|
|Coverage||Child Care Allowance, Travel Allowance|
|Age Limit||No Age Restriction|
|Deadline||Applications are accepted throughout the year|
EMBO – Excellence in life sciences
The European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) is a professional, non-profit organization of more than 1,800 life scientists. Its aim is to promote research in life sciences and to enable international exchange between scientists. It co-finances courses, workshops, and conferences publishes five scientific journals, and supports individual scientists. The organization was founded in 1964 and is a founding member of the Initiative for Science in Europe. Wikipedia
EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships
EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships Support internationally mobile postdoctoral researchers in Europe and around the world. Awardees can attend the EMBO Laboratory Leadership course and become part of the global network of EMBO Fellows.
EMBO provides grants for host institutions in the EMBC Member States to enter into employment contracts with EMBO Fellows. Fellows working in countries other than EMBC member states will receive a stipend.
Additional EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships
Five additional EMBO postdoctoral fellowships are reserved for researchers applying to work in one of the following countries: Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovenia, and Turkey. In addition, researchers applying to work in these countries are now guaranteed an interview by an EMBO member or Young Investigator, provided their application passes the initial overall quality screening. They will then be shortlisted for consideration by the Scholarship Committee.
Financial Benefits of EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Stipend or Salary: A stipend is offered solely to cover living expenses in the host country. The stipend rate depends on the country being visited.
- Moving allowance: Travel expenses to and from the host institution for scholarship recipients and their families are up to €5,000.
- Support for classmates with children
- Childcare allowance (under the age of six, up to 2,500 euros per fellowship year and per child.)
- Dependent child allowance (under the age of 18, the value varies.)
Main Eligibility Criteria:
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent at the start of the scholarship.
- Applicants who already have a doctorate at the time of application may only apply if they have obtained it within two years prior to the date of application.
- Applicants must have at least one first-author publication accepted or published in an international peer-reviewed journal at the time of application.
- All applications must include movement between countries (see the EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships guidelines for details on mobility requirements).
- Requests for travel to the country in which the Ph.D. was obtained will not be considered.
- Requests to return to a laboratory where the applicant has worked in the past for more than six months, either for one or several visits, will not be considered.
- Applications for an EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship to be held in the laboratory, institute, or department in which the candidate worked to obtain a Ph.D., or to work again with the candidate’s supervisor, wherever located, will not be considered.
- Applicants who have already started working at the host laboratory may apply only if they have worked at the host laboratory for less than six months at the time of application.
- Applicants may submit only one application per project in one host laboratory in each selection round.
EMBO Subject Areas:
Cell Cycle, Cell & Tissue Architecture, Cellular Metabolism, Chromatin & Transcription, Development, Differentiation & Death, Evolution & Ecology, Genome Stability & Dynamics, Genomic & Computational Biology, Immunology, Membranes & Transport, Microbiology, Virology & Pathogens, Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, Plant Biology, Proteins & Biochemistry, RNA, Signal Transduction, Structural Biology & Biophysics, Systems Biology.
List of EMBC Members States
- Czech Republic
- Denmark, Estonia
- Slovak Republic
- United Kingdom
These may also be beneficial to you:
List of EMBC Associated Member States
- Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan
Deadlines for the EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships
Applications for the EMBO Post Doctoral Fellowship are accepted throughout the year, and depending on the date of submission, is one of the two evaluation cycles.
Spring Evaluation: Includes all eligible applications submitted by 2:00 pm on the second Friday of February in Central Europe. The results of this round will be announced in late May or early June.
Autumn Evaluation: Central Europe Includes all eligible applications submitted by 2:00 pm on the second Friday of August. The results of this round will be announced in late November or early December.
Applications and evidence (two certificates, enrollment in the laboratory) are accepted only through the online application system. Only the fully completed application is considered.
Follow the link and enter your email address in the given form to register for the EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships.