Applications are now open for three Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs, including the Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship and the Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellowship.
|Host Institute||Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology|
|No. of Fellowships||Various|
|Coverage||An annual salary of $63,000 and a research budget of $25,000|
|Nationality||US or Foreign students|
|Minimum Degree Required||Ph.D. or M.D.|
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
The Beckman Institute offers several grants and awards that support research opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral researchers. From summer research opportunities to three-year fellowships, all provide significant research experience for recipients. In addition, contributions support Beckmann’s research and teaching mission. The Beckman Institute offers three-year postdoctoral programs.
The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology is a unit of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign dedicated to interdisciplinary research. A donation from scientist, businessman, and philanthropist Arnold O. Beckman and his wife Mabel led to the building of the Institute, which opened in 1989. Wikipedia
Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs
Supporting outstanding scholars at the Beckman Institute, the three annual postdoctoral fellowship programs offer selected scholars a unique opportunity to engage in a three-year interdisciplinary research fellowship at the Beckman Institute.
1. Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program
The Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program is for recent Ph.D. recipients or final year doctoral students with research interests relevant to the Beckman Institute. Four to six scholarship holders are selected annually for a period of up to three years. The Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation established this program in 1991 to recruit outstanding scientists to work at the Beckman Institute.
2. Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellows Program
The Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellows Program is for recent Ph.D. recipients or final-year doctoral students with research interests relevant to the Beckman Institute. One Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Fellow is selected each year. This scholarship, launched in the fall of 2015, honors Dr. and Mrs. Arnold Beckman and Dr. Theodore “Ted” Brown, founding director of the Beckman Institute.
3. Cancer Center at Illinois – Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program
The award is funded by an endowment established by the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. Cancer Center of Illinois – The Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program supports up to two fellows who would like to pursue projects bridging basic cancer science and engineering. Fellows work with mentors from CCIL and the Beckman Institute to develop interdisciplinary skills that support their career development.
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent within the last 10 years.
- Relevance of the proposed research project to the Beckman Institute portfolio.
- The application package includes four letters of reference:
- Two letters regarding the applicant’s previous work experience
- Two letters from proposed Beckman Institute faculty mentors/collaborators, at least one of whom is a full- or part-time Beckman Institute faculty member
*Letters from proposed Beckman Institute faculty mentors/collaborators should explain how the faculty member intends to support the applicant’s research plan.
Members are required to write annual reports and report monthly to the director of the Beckman Institute.
A postdoctoral fellowship is a form of employment. Fellows receive an annual salary of $63,000 and a research budget of $25,000 that can be spent on research activities such as supplies, equipment, and travel to conferences and workshops.
The research Budget is to cover:
- Relocation expenses ($2,000 maximum, first year only)
- Research supplies
- Training workshops
- Support for interdisciplinary collaborations
- Travel between collaborating institutions
- Travel to scientific/technical meetings
- Facility use/service charges
Deadline to Apply for Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs
The deadline to apply for Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs is at 5 p.m. CST Monday, November 21, 2022.
The following documents are required for the Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs application.
- Letters of reference: Solicit letters of recommendation from your references and ask them to email their letters as an Adobe PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Research proposal: Upload ONE PDF document that consists of your plan and references.
- Representative paper: If you have not published, please submit one introductory or representative chapter. Do not submit additional articles or chapters; only one will be forwarded to the selection committee.
- Curriculum vitae: A CV must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file and uploaded with the application as described above.
These may also be beneficial to you:
How to Apply for Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs
You have to apply online for Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs.
The three programs share a common application. Use the following link to apply for the upcoming year of the Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows program. All applicants will be automatically considered for the Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellows and Illinois Cancer Center – Beckman Institute Joint Postdoctoral Fellows programs. Please complete the entire form and ensure that all uploaded documents are in Adobe PDF format.