International students can apply for various Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Masters to cover their studies at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The university offers three scholarships for exceptionally talented students from non-European countries. The University of Amsterdam (UvA) aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA can apply for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS).
The Amsterdam Merit Scholarships (AMS) has been specially designed by the University of Amsterdam to offer talented and hard-working students from outside the EU/EEA the opportunity to study in one of the academic fields covered by the UvA. The AMS program is highly selective: only applicants with excellent academic results and motivation are eligible for the scholarship.
General Criteria for Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Masters
Candidates who wish to participate in the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Students who hold a non-EU/EEA passport and have applied for a study program at the University of Amsterdam can apply for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarships.
- The scholarship office should be informed as soon as possible of any change of nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible “Studiefinanciering” support during the academic year.
- Not eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans and/or low tuition fees.
- Be fully admitted to a master’s program at the University of Amsterdam or any of its schools.
- Continuation of the scholarship is not guaranteed if the candidate changes the program of study.
- Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations.
- Be enrolled at the UvA as a full-time student for the academic year and program for which the scholarship is awarded.
- The candidate should not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS scholarship. Notify the scholarship office when another full scholarship has been awarded and accepted.
- Continuation of the scholarship for subsequent year(s) of study is subject to satisfactory academic progress.
- The Master’s program you wish to apply for may set additional requirements, such as academic and language requirements.
How to apply?
You can submit your AMS application by following these steps:
- First, submit an application to the master’s program of your choice. Note that your Master’s application must be complete, with all required documents including valid language test results.
- Get your UvA student number and MyInfo reference number.
- Complete and submit the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship application form. You will need to upload the following documents:
- Scan the ID page of your passport
- Cover letter
- Your cover letter should include how the master’s program of your choice will help you meet your personal and academic goals and explain why you are the best candidate for the scholarship.
- Letter of recommendation
- Your letter of recommendation should primarily point to your academic qualities. This letter should be written by a professor or other academic staff member.
- Financial plan
- Your financial plan is used to demonstrate that you need the scholarship and also to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover all other costs
Deadlines for Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Masters vary for each faculty.
Applications must be submitted to graduate schools’ admissions offices. Deadlines for AMS vary by faculty or graduate school. Specific eligibility requirements, selection criteria, and application instructions can be found on the faculty/School pages below.
Scholarships at the Graduate School of Child Development and Education
The Graduate School of Child Development and Education of the University of Amsterdam offers the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS), a scholarship for outstanding non-EU/EEA students who have been admitted to the Child Development and Education research master’s program.
Applications for the AMS Scholarship for the Research Master’s Program in Child Development and Education are due by January 15, 2022 (starting September 2022).
For details and to apply for Amsterdam Merit Scholarship go to the official webpage given below:
Graduate School of Communication Science
To be considered for AMS, the Graduate School of Communication requires you to apply to our (research) Master’s program before January 1 and be unconditionally accepted before applying for an AMS scholarship. Therefore, make sure you also apply to the program by January 1st.
- Master’s application deadline 1 January
- Questionnaire deadline 22 January
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships application deadline 31 January
For details and the application form click here.
Amsterdam Economics and Business Talent Fund
Amsterdam Economics and Business Talent Fund Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit and financial need. Students with non-EU nationality can apply for this full scholarship for one year. The scholarship is open for one-year master’s programs offered by Economics and Business.
The September 2023 subscription deadline is January 15, 2023.
Letje Lips Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (LLAMS) – Humanities
The Letje Lips Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (LLAMS) is a full scholarship. Scholars from a selected community, participating for example in extracurricular activities developed especially for them.
Make sure you submit both your master’s and scholarship applications by January 15th. Late or incomplete LLAMS applications will not be considered. Your LLAMS will also not be considered if you do not submit a complete Master’s application by January 15th. Scholarships cannot be awarded to students who are not accepted into the master’s program for which they have applied.
Amsterdam Graduate School of Law
Before applying for an AMS scholarship, the Amsterdam Graduate School of Law requires you to be conditionally admitted to an English-taught LLM program starting in September. Please check the general application requirements for your chosen program.
If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, you will need to submit your LLM application (including all required documents) by 1 January. The deadline for submitting the scholarship application and all scholarship-related documents is January 15.
Academic Medical Centre
The Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam offers the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS), a scholarship for outstanding non-EU/EEA students who have been admitted to one of the (Master’s) programs of the Faculty of Medicine.
Applications for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship for the Master’s Program in Medical Informatics must be submitted by June 1 (September start) or November 1 (February start).
Graduate School of Social Sciences
The scholarship can only be awarded to students who have been accepted into one of the English-taught, selective master’s programs at the Graduate School of Social Sciences. Students are selected for AMS based on academic merit. The selection takes place in March. Interested parties will be notified by mid-May at the latest.
Applications for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Masters must be submitted no later than January 13, 2023, 11:59 PM CET.
Graduate School of Psychology
The Graduate School of Psychology hosts an internationally recognized group of researchers and faculty who create cutting-edge research and training programs.
The Graduate School of Psychology requires unconditional admission to one of the master’s tracks in our one-year master’s program in psychology or in research master’s psychology.
The potential candidates are requested to apply to the Master’s program and Amsterdam Merit Scholarships simultaneously.
Applications for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Masters at the Graduate School of Psychology must be submitted by 1 March.
Faculty of Science – Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Masters
The Faculty of Science aims to attract talented students to its international classrooms. It offers several scholarship programs designed to offer – Dutch and international, motivated students the opportunity to study science at the University of Amsterdam.
The application deadline is March 1, 2023.