The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Excellent students from countries outside the European Economic Area can apply for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
University of Amsterdam
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) is a public research university located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The UvA is one of two large, publicly funded research universities in the city. It is one of the largest research universities in Europe with 31,186 students, 4,794 employees, and 1,340 Ph.D. students. The university is organized into seven faculties: Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Economics and Business, Science, Law, Medicine, and Dentistry. Wikipedia
Amsterdam Merit Scholarships Financial Coverage
UvA provides a small number of scholarships for highly talented students from non-EU countries applying to a Bachelor’s program. With the scholarship, it is tried to support talented students during their studies and projects. The value of the scholarship is €6,000 per year (€18,000 in total). A small number of scholarships are available each year.
Amsterdam Merit Scholarship General Criteria
To be eligible for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship, applicants must meet the following general criteria:
- You only have non-EU nationality.
- You have excellent academic results (for example 90-100% / A+(+))
- You are not entitled to a Dutch study grant or loan (“Studiefinanciering”).
- You do not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as AMS.
- You submitted a complete application to one of the Economics and Business programs before the scholarship deadline.
- You will register and participate in the first selection/matching rounds.
- You are able to comply with the Dutch visa regulations as stated by the Dutch Immigration Service (IND)
- Proof of English proficiency (if applicable)*:
- TOEFL IBT: total score of 100 (minimum score of 22 in each component, but a higher sub-score gives you an advantage);
- IELTS (Academic Test): overall score of 7.0 (minimum score of 7.0 in each component, you can apply with a sub-score of 6.5, but a higher sub-score gives you an advantage);
- Cambridge Assessment English: Certificate in Advanced English: 190 points overall and for each skill or Certificate of Proficiency in English: 190 points overall and for each skill.
For details and other bachelor disciplines scholarships click here
To apply for Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for bachelor students, you have to:
- Apply to the BSc program via Studielink and SIS ‘My Applications.
- Apply for the scholarship before the deadline (January 15 BSc Business Administration) and March 1 (other bachelor programs) at Embark.
- The deadline to apply for the Business Administration program and scholarship application is January 15.
- The application deadline for all other BSc Economics and Business programs and scholarships is 1 March.