AAUW American Fellowships assist female scholars in studying and completing a thesis full-time, conducting full-time postdoctoral research, or preparing a research paper for publication for eight consecutive weeks.
Summary of AAUW American Fellowships for Women
|Who can Apply||Only Female|
|Nationality||U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the USA|
|Opening||August 1, 2022|
|Deadline||November 1, 2022|
AAUW American Fellowships are open to applicants from all majors. Scientists working in the fields of natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics, or conducting research on gender issues are especially encouraged to apply.
The purpose of the American Dissertation Fellowship is to help offset the fellow’s living expenses while completing a dissertation. Applicants must have completed all coursework, passed all pre-examinations, and received approval for a research proposal or plan by the November prior. Students who received a dissertation writing grant in the year prior to the AAUW grant year are not eligible.
The primary purpose of the American Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship is to increase the number of women in tenure-track faculty positions and to promote equal opportunities for women in higher education. This grant is intended to support employment and promotion by allowing the candidate to conduct her one-year original study. Regular professors are not eligible.
Short-term research publication grants help researchers prepare research manuscripts for publication. Preference will be given to female applicants whose work supports AAUW’s vision of breaking down educational and economic barriers so that all women have a fair chance. These fellowships are available to both new and established researchers as well as tenured track and part-time faculty.
- Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship: $50,000
- Dissertation Fellowship: $25,000
- Short-Term Research Publication Grant: $8,000
Eligibility Criteria for AAUW American Fellowships
All American scholarships require applicants to meet the following criteria:
- AAUW board, committee, board, working group, and staff members, including current interns, are not eligible to apply for AAUW scholarships and grants. Current award holders may be elected or appointed to boards, committees, panels, and task forces.
- American Fellowship candidates must be US citizens or permanent residents.
- American Fellowship is open to women, including those who identify as women, in all areas of study at accredited universities. AAUW makes the final determination of what constitutes an eligible institution.
- Applicants cannot apply for another country scholarship or AAUW scholarship in the same year.
- Distance Learning/Online Programs: Fellowships support traditional face-to-face courses at colleges and universities. This scholarship program does not fund distance learning or online programs or degrees that rely heavily on distance learning components.
- The American Dissertation Fellowship must be used in the final year of dissertation writing. Applicants must have completed all coursework, passed all preliminary exams, and approved a thesis research proposal or plan by November 1, 2022.
- Ph.D./Thesis must be completed between April 1st and June 30th, 2024. The promotion must be completed between April 1st and September 15th, 2024.
- Thesis Fellows are not required to study in the United States for the purpose of supporting the final year of writing or completing a dissertation in the year preceding the fellowship year.
- The dissertation Grant is intended for applicants seeking a first Ph.D.
- applicants can apply up to twice for the same Ph.D. project scholarship.
- American Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship applicants must hold a Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., M.F.A.、J.D.、M.D.、D.M.D.、D.V.M.、D.S.W., or MPH. at the time of application.
- Full Professor cannot be selected.
- American Short-Term Research Publication Grant applicant must have earned his Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., M.F.A.
- , J.D., M.D., D.M.D., D.V.M., D.S.W. or M.P.
- H. At the time of application.
- Full Professor cannot be selected.
- American Short-Term Research Publication Grants are open to tenure-track, part-time, fixed-term faculty, and new and existing researchers at universities. Academics with strong publishing records should seek funding elsewhere. Applicants should spend eight consecutive weeks preparing their final manuscript. Many winners, especially full-time faculty, use their awards in the summer, but winners can use the funds at any time during the grant year. Applicants must demonstrate that the assistance would reduce their ongoing professional activity.
- American Short-Term Research Publication Grants are not for exploratory research. Activities conducted during the fundraising period may include writing, editing, or correcting the manuscript. replication of research components; addressing issues raised through critical review, and other initiatives to increase the likelihood of publication.
- Grantees must be listed as the sole author, senior author, first author, or author of equal importance.
AAUW American Fellowships Coverage
- American Fellowship funds are available for:
- Living expenses.
- Child Care. trips to professional conferences, conferences, or seminars did not exceed 10% of the grant amount (American Dissertation Fellowships and American Postdoctoral Fellowships only).
In addition, American short-term publishing grants are available for
- Office and technical support.
- Validation research grant (no basic research).
- Office Supplies, Postage, Copies, and Incidental Charges.
- Journal Fee.
|August 1, 2022||Application opening date|
|November 1, 2022||Deadline for online application submission|
|April 15, 2023||Notification of the decision will be emailed to all applicants|
|July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024||Fellowship Year|
How to Apply for AAUW American Fellowships
- If you are a female and a permanent resident of the USA, you can apply for a fellowship.
- If you have already an account at AAUW, click login to proceed, otherwise, you have to create an account.
- Click the link below to apply for AAUW American Fellowships for Dissertation, Postdoctoral Research, or Short-Term Research Publication.